Monday 8 November 2010

Of Hula-Hoops and Buttered Toast



Lest you think I’m spending all my time playing tourist here in Belfast, I thought I’d write a post about the activity that takes up most of my week: afterschools club.  On Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons, we open the church to the kids who live nearby, offering them a safe and fun place to spend a couple hours.  The activities we plan are many and varied—I’ve found myself playing relay games, baking cookies, making masks, and even writing poetry.  It all depends on the day.  Here’s a little sampling of what a typical afterschools club is like:

When the kids first arrive, they have some free time
to play in the Main Hall.  Here, some of the girls show
off their hula-hoop skills.
Paul is studying to be a Methodist minister, and he's
working with us on placement this year.  Here, he discusses
the finer points of hula-hooping.
Bill oversees an intense game of 10-pin bowling.
As the kids play, Heather and Gail start preparing the
afternoon snack: buttered toast and juice.



Paul and Kelly make sure that everyone has toast
and juice.
After snack, the kids go to different stations for the
rest of the afternoon: some to arts and crafts, some
to games, some to cookery, and some to drama.  I've
tried my hand at leading these different stations
...with varying success.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment